Snowflakes glide down, cloaking the fir and mountain hemlocks in a brilliant robe. The forest stills for winter. Bears in their den. Snowshoe hare prints decorate the glades. Raven waits for the sun's return.
Incoming President's Message
As of November 8, 2022, I am your new president. I am eager and excited to work with our core of volunteers and with all of you to plan and enjoy outdoor activities.
December Trip Schedule
|Sat 3 Dec
|A2b, Dog Mountain, Mount Seymour Area
|Tue 6 Dec
|Cypress Back Country Ski Trip
|Sun 11 Dec
|A1a, Dog Hike, Mosquito Creek, Hikers without dogs also welcome
|Tue 13 Dec
|Diamond Head Back Country Ski
|Sat 17 Dec
|A1a, Pacific Spirit Park Hike, slow relaxed pace
Tue 20 Dec
|Tue 20 Dec
7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
|Sunrise Community Center
|Mon 26 Dec
11:00 am - 3:00 pm
|Vancouver Christmas lights walk
|Tue 27 Dec
|Sat 31 Dec
|Lakeview Trail/Buntzen Lake
Celebrate the Season
Hat Mountain via the north ridge
by Alastair Ferries
The only area with a reasonable forecast was Vancouver, so I switched Midian Pk (ne of Pemberton) to Hat Mtn via its ‘tricky’ north ridge. From the Wettin/Hat col the ridge was steep, but the snow was bomber, and there was a good run out.
About 45m below the summit, the route traverses east on a ledge system. It was only exposed in one short section (an excellent firm tree to hold onto). Then it was a bit exposed getting up to the summit plateau, but the snow remained firm and great for kicking steps into.
The route is marked, and it wouldn’t be that difficult in summer.
Whistler Blackcomb Backcountry Access Updates
Visit the Whistler Blackcomb Backcountry page for updates on the 2022-2023 winter season.
Reduction in the Backcountry Lift Pass
- For members of the public that prefer lift access to Garibaldi Park, Whistler Blackcomb has reduced the backcountry lift pass from $62 to $45
Improvements to the lower mountain route (Blackcomb Bench Climb)
- Whistler Blackcomb has re-routed a portion of the lower mountain trail to improve the user experience. This re-route will allow for all-weather access to a juncture point where guests can then choose one of two route options to Garibaldi Park (North or South).
- The Blackcomb Bench Climb also connects to the Excelerator chairlift via the Excelerator Connector for those guests that have a lift pass, would like to get a bit of exercise and avoid the lineup in the base area.
- The Blackcomb Bench Climb also provides the public with an uphill exercise route within the Controlled Recreation Area throughout the day.
Interim Access Route (Blackcomb South Route)
- Whistler Blackcomb would like to provide the opportunity to utilize the Blackcomb South Route again this year and has extended the access to 9:30 am from 9:00am to allow more time for users to travel up to the bottom of Seventh Heaven.
New Blackcomb North Route
- Whistler Blackcomb will pilot a new winter access route that travels north through the Controlled Recreation Area into Garibaldi Park to the Phalanx area.
- Based on conversations with stakeholders in 2021, this route could be a very nice route for day trips – fairly easy route for backcountry access, good terrain, gentle climb, beautiful backcountry ski opportunities. The northern aspect will keep snow for a longer period and extend the use of the trail for winter use.
- The potential use of this route is unknown; therefore, providing a breadcrumb trail for the 2022/23 season with the opportunity for feedback will be valuable.
Thanks for reading, and Happy trails.
2022 Photo contest winner: Scenery anytime, anywhere