Registration (optional but recommended) :
Date and Time :
Sat, 9 November 2019
10:30 AM – 4:00 PM PST
North Shore Alliance Church
201 23rd Street East
North Vancouver, BC V7L 3E4
Two sessions of avalanche safety, speakers, science, and education. Morning (advanced) : 10:30 am - noon. Afternoon (beginner) : 2 pm - 4 pm.
About this Event
New to the backcountry ? Want to up your game ? No matter your level of outdoor experience, these sessions will boost your awareness of avalanche safety, equipment and resources.
- Admission by donation
- Prizes ! (Including a pair of Atlas snowshoes, donated by K2)
- Free parking !
- Registration not required, but is appreciated so we can estimate attendance
- Join and share the Avalanche Awareness Facebook event for the latest updates
The event is broken into two parts. Attend one or both !
Morning session : 10:30 am – noon (Advanced)
For more experienced outdoor enthusiasts looking to build upon their knowledge. This session will feature in-depth avalanche safety presentations from an Avalanche Canada Forecaster.
Afternoon session : Doors open at 1:30 pm. Presentations run 2:00 pm – 4 pm (may run slightly longer to accommodate questions)
For those new to the backcountry and avalanche safety, or those looking for a refresher. This session is an introduction to the basics of recreational avalanche safety, with plenty of time for questions and discussion.
- Mark Bender, Avalanche Canada forecaster, speaking on Basic Avalanche Awareness (looking at terrain, avalanche activity, triggers, etc.)
- North Shore SAR volunteer, Peter Marshall, will present a case study of the Runner Peak incident from February 2019
- Brent Loewen, snowshoe ambassador and guide in the N. Shore mountains, will present on his personal journey and education in the backcountry
- AdventureSmart will have a presentation on Trip Planning