After 4 years in this position, I am now looking for an eager, outgoing and organized member to take on the position of Membership Secretary. You will be the front line person who responds to inquiries from the public about participating in Club activities and directing them to appropriate trip leaders. The job also involves banking cheques and mailing out signup sheets and consent forms quarterly to trip leaders. There is volunteer backup to help, when you are vacationing.
The position is a member of the Board of Directors for a 2 year term. The membership Secretary fills a vital role in the continuing success of the NSH and I hope you will consider stepping up and filling this position.
Click here for a full description of the duties.
Our Annual General Meeting will be held on Thursday, Nov. 8, 2018,at 7:30 p.m., at the Sunrise Community Centre, 1950 Windermere Street, Vancouver. Doors will open at 7:00 p.m.
Click here for the agenda. After the official business is finished, P.J. Richards, from Adventure Smart, will present "Survive the Outside".
Among the items to be voted on, we would like to delete the requirement for an official audit, after a final one is done in the near future. This is because we have had difficulty in looking for a volunteer auditor, and it is expensive to hire one. Click here for the existing bylaws, and click here for the new one if the proposed change is accepted. Scroll to the end to Part 10 to see the change.
While we encourage every member to come, if you have led a trip in the past year, you may not want to miss the AGM. There will be two prize draws, each for a $50 MEC Gift Certificate, trip leaders who are present at the AGM.
Refreshments will be served. Bring your own mug.
We hope to see you there.
The NSH Executive Committee.
Current NSH members receive a 10% discount on regularly priced items at MEC Vancouver, November 1, 2018, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Now is the time to join or renew if you have not already done so. You must register with Beth at email@example.com before coming to this event.
Read on for details
NSH members will receive 10% off of all regularly priced items purchased that evening – including bikes and boats! All items must be in stock and purchased through the tills that evening in order to be eligible for the discount. The discount does not extend to the following items. (1) Clearance items, (2) All Blundstone products, (3) Items that are already included in a packaged discount. Other restrictions may also apply.
See below for out-of-stock items at the Vancouver location.
Items can be put on hold up to 48 hours before the event, and can be picked up at the Member Services Desk during the club night. Items that have been purchased before the event cannot be returned and re-purchased at the discounted rate.
All NSH members who participate must also be members of Mountain Equipment Co-op in order to make a purchase. You can purchase an MEC membership ($5.00) that evening.
Changes from previous years
- Before the 10% discount was only for items in-stock during the time of the event. Now we are able to omni channel any item of your desire from another store if we do not have it at the Vancouver location and still receive 10% off the item. To access this wonderful perk, speak to any staff member to check to see if the item is still available at another location to get it shipped over to your home or to the store. Then the staff member will call the Service Centre for you and tell them the item you're ordering and that you're in the store for the club night event (you will have to show the staff member your discount card). The staff member will pass the phone over to you and you will confirm shipping and payment details. Easy as pie!
- Intense mountain bikes are now eligible for the 10% discount! YAY!
my name is Sofia and I work for Alpine Start Outfitters. We would love to help you all get geared up for the upcoming fall and winter season with some awesome stuff from Hillsound !
All North Shore Hiker members will get 20% off Hillsound products when purchased at the store !
For those of you who might not know, Hillsound is making some really great crampons as well as gaiters. You should definitely check them out !
To use this discount prove that you are a North Shore Hiker member by showing this post to the store staff. Bring ID as well to verify your name. This offer is for personal use only for North Shore Hiker members and is valid until October 31st.
The store is located at 68 West Broadway, right in between Valhalla and Sport Check !
Happy hiking !
Facebook: Alpine Start Oufitters"
Get the next 8 weeks free if you become a member today ! Enjoy the glorious weather of autumn and don't miss any of the upcoming year’s hiking, skiing, cycling and camping for only $25. Why wait, get further details from firstname.lastname@example.org .
For recent club activity see NSH_Q3_Statistics .
By Diane Allison.
The Skywalk Trails (North and South), Upper 19 Mile Creek Trail to Iceberg Lake, the trails around Screaming Cat Lake, and the Rainbow Lake Trail are all closed due to Grizzly Bear activity. It is expected that these trails will remain closed until the grizzly bears go to den.
For a complete list of trails closed see
For recent club activity see NSH_Q2_Statistics.
By Diane Allison.
The gravel uphill section of Mamquam Road toward Quest University, Ring Creek, Garibaldi Provincial Park and Elfin Lakes will be closed to vehicle traffic until further notice due to safety concerns, effective immediately. See
However there is an easy detour which allows you to still get to Elfin Lakes :
- drive north on Hwy 99 about 4 km past downtown Squamish
- follow signs to Garibaldi Park Diamond Head and Quest University
- turn right onto Mamquam Road : leave Hwy 99 just before Canadian Tire
- after about 600m turn left on Highland Way S
- at 1st roundabout turn right onto The Boulevard aka University Boulevard
- at next roundabout go straight : continue along Boulevard
- at 3rd roundabout near Quest University follow signs to Garibaldi Park
- this will bring you back to Mamquam Road
- turn left on Mamquam Road
The Topographic Map Viewer allows users to view and download PDF maps for free from a web browser. The B.C. Government provides georeferenced, 1:20,000 scale topographic maps of the entire Province of British Columbia. See
Get downloaded maps printed at Staples for a couple of dollars or save them as a PDF and use them off your phone - or for planning - or just for wasting time.
By Diane Allison