July 6-8, 2020 Salt Spring Island 3 day/2 nights biking and camping trip

NSH Forums Trip Reports July 6-8, 2020 Salt Spring Island 3 day/2 nights biking and camping trip

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Ye Chu

It’s what I call a “Lapsang Souchong” trip. The trip is noted for its rich aromas and history. Salt Spring Island has over 400 variety of apples. It was the major producer of apples in BC until the 1930’s when irrigation was introduced in the Okanagan. My favourite aspect of the trip was the camping next to the “salty air” ocean and listening to the “lapping” of the waves as it lulled me into a deep sleep. We had fine weather for our “mini-triathlon” days of biking the rolling hills (too many), daily swims in sparkling lakes (refreshing), hiking up steep slopes to the summits (strenuous) and digesting the incredible views of the Gulf islands.  We had a chance to visit roadside farms (delicious fruitsicles), ate at local restaurants (the best pulled pork nachos ever), walked through old gravesite next to churches dating back to 1850’s and of course sampling cheese and jams at the Salt Spring Island Cheese Factory. One big highlight of our trip was to bike over to the Burgoyne Bay Area and hike through a first growth forest of Garry oak, Douglas fir and Arbutus trees on our way up to Baynes peak. The only mishap to the trip was when we got off the ferry and a wasp flew down my shirt and bit me half a dozen times. I was told by two locals, who also got bitten by wasps, that it was due to a Capricorn full moon, a solar eclipse and the alignment of six planets. Life on the Gulf Islands is always full of surprises. A big thanks to Louise’s husband for being our vehicle support/sherpa and to Lesley for encouraging us to host a second bike trip as her trip was full.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by Ye Chu.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.