Mark your Calendars!
Bill Myrtle will present: Hiking Travels in Patagonia from 7:45-9:15.
Bring a friend and new members are encouraged to come.
Many thanks to Angela who wetted our interest in the Italian Dolomites with marvellous photos of their unique structure. Her recommendation of the Road Scholar touring group was informative.
Rediscovering the Hudson Bay Company Trail by Kelley Cook, Shari Laszlo and Anne Leathem
Hiking in the Italian Dolomite Region by Angela Thiele
Doors open at 7:00 pm. Presentation starts at 7:30 pm at the Sunrise Community Centre, 1950 Windermere Street, Vancouver, west of Rupert and south of 1st Avenue.
Refreshments will be served.
- send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com expressing your interest and how many days of summer camp you would like to attend
- Phone Hostel International central booking at 1-866-7624122 to reserve a bed at the Castle Mountain HI for all four ( July 24,25,26,27) nights or less if you so wish
- Email Cristina and Diane with your confirmed booking. Please note that HI will need your credit card but they will not charge it until your arrival. They also have a no charge (minimum 48 hour notice from arrival) cancellation policy
- The Canyon Hot Springs does not open for reservations until May. Check however their website. Accommodations include cabins and camping. You can get a camping site for about $40/night. They have coin operated hot showers.
Date: December 13th 5:30 p.m.
Venue: Once again, Lesley Bohm has kindly offered to host our Christmas
function. Her address is visible right here for members who have logged in to this site. Parking on street.
What to bring: Potluck fingerfood. Wine or Beer. Non alcohol punch will be available.
Lesley will run a slide show on their computer of her many trips - hiking, paddling, Morocco, Nepal, South Africa, etc.
North Shore Hikers will be hiking in Europe next September - Send Expressions of interest to Diane Whiteley by December 5, 2018
We (Cristina Jacob & Diane Whiteley) are looking for expressions of interest from members for the following adventure:
Trek the Hiker’s Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermatt (a hike in Alps through France, Italy and Switzerland)
Dates: start September 1st, 2nd or 3rd, 2019 (exact date TBD based on availability of accommodation in Chamonix) and finish in Zermatt 12 days later. The 12 stages are:
- Chamonix to Trient
- Trient to Champex
- Champex to Le Chable
- Le Chable to Cab.Mont Fort
- Mont Fort to Cab. Prafleuri
- Prafleuri to Arolla
- Arolla to la Sage
- La Sage to Cab. De Moiry
- Moiry to Zinal
- Zinal to Gruben
- Gruben to St. Niklaus
- St. Niklaus to Zermatt
We are going to use Alpine Exploratory for the bookings and take their advice on luggage handling as well. Here is some key information from Alpine Exploratory to help you decide whether you are interested.
- Price - For 12 stages and 13 nights, our price per person is GBP 1,640 (CAD 2,753) for our classic mix of accommodation, based on double or twin occupancy.
- Deposit - We ask for a deposit of GBP 200 per person (CAD 335) on confirmation of your schedule. What usually happens is, having received a booking form, we'll get back to you with a confirmation email. No payment details are required on booking. Some people choose to pay the deposit straight away, however it is absolutely fine to wait until we have booked the accommodation, and once you have confirmed that you're happy with it, pay at that stage. Payment is all taken separately, so that the group leader doesn't have to deal with the finance side of things. We then ask for your balance around 9 weeks before the trip.
If you are interested, please send your name via email to Diane Whiteley. My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
Diane and Cristina
Current NSH members receive a 10% discount on regularly priced items at MEC Vancouver, November 1, 2018, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Now is the time to join or renew if you have not already done so. You must register with Beth at email@example.com before coming to this event.
Read on for details
NSH members will receive 10% off of all regularly priced items purchased that evening – including bikes and boats! All items must be in stock and purchased through the tills that evening in order to be eligible for the discount. The discount does not extend to the following items. (1) Clearance items, (2) All Blundstone products, (3) Items that are already included in a packaged discount. Other restrictions may also apply.
See below for out-of-stock items at the Vancouver location.
Items can be put on hold up to 48 hours before the event, and can be picked up at the Member Services Desk during the club night. Items that have been purchased before the event cannot be returned and re-purchased at the discounted rate.
All NSH members who participate must also be members of Mountain Equipment Co-op in order to make a purchase. You can purchase an MEC membership ($5.00) that evening.
Changes from previous years
- Before the 10% discount was only for items in-stock during the time of the event. Now we are able to omni channel any item of your desire from another store if we do not have it at the Vancouver location and still receive 10% off the item. To access this wonderful perk, speak to any staff member to check to see if the item is still available at another location to get it shipped over to your home or to the store. Then the staff member will call the Service Centre for you and tell them the item you're ordering and that you're in the store for the club night event (you will have to show the staff member your discount card). The staff member will pass the phone over to you and you will confirm shipping and payment details. Easy as pie!
- Intense mountain bikes are now eligible for the 10% discount! YAY!
Our Annual General Meeting will be held on Thursday, Nov. 8, 2018,at 7:30 p.m., at the Sunrise Community Centre, 1950 Windermere Street, Vancouver. Doors will open at 7:00 p.m.
Among the items to be voted on, we would like to delete the requirement for an official audit, after a final one is done in the near future. This is because we have had difficulty in looking for a volunteer auditor, and it is expensive to hire one. Click here for the existing bylaws, and click here for the new one if the proposed change is accepted. Scroll to the end to Part 10 to see the change.
While we encourage every member to come, if you have led a trip in the past year, you may not want to miss the AGM. There will be two prize draws, each for a $50 MEC Gift Certificate, trip leaders who are present at the AGM.
Refreshments will be served. Bring your own mug.
We hope to see you there.
The NSH Executive Committee.