Here is the obituary for club member Yvonne Price as first published in the Coast Reporter.
The Club is looking for someone to set up the equipment on North Shore Hiker slide show dates. They would be in charge of the laptop, projector and a small box of related equipment. The screen is stored in the Sunrise Community Centre, 1950 Windermere St. in Vancouver where the slide shows are held. This individual would not be required to attend the Executive meetings of the Club, just do the set up on the social slide show dates. There are 4 slide show dates per year. This is a crucial position to fill in order to continue our socials and keep the club vibrant.
Slideshows are an avenue for new members and great publicity. These slide shows enable networking and are a way to relay club news and they are a lot of fun! If you can help out please contact the executive by emailing the email@example.com, replying to this message, contacting the Executive or sending a message to us via the FB Group.
Mark your Calendars!
Bill Myrtle will present: Hiking Travels in Patagonia from 7:45-9:15.
Bring a friend and new members are encouraged to come.
Many thanks to Angela who wetted our interest in the Italian Dolomites with marvellous photos of their unique structure. Her recommendation of the Road Scholar touring group was informative.
Rediscovering the Hudson Bay Company Trail by Kelley Cook, Shari Laszlo and Anne Leathem
Hiking in the Italian Dolomite Region by Angela Thiele
Doors open at 7:00 pm. Presentation starts at 7:30 pm at the Sunrise Community Centre, 1950 Windermere Street, Vancouver, west of Rupert and south of 1st Avenue.
Refreshments will be served.
- send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com expressing your interest and how many days of summer camp you would like to attend
- Phone Hostel International central booking at 1-866-7624122 to reserve a bed at the Castle Mountain HI for all four ( July 24,25,26,27) nights or less if you so wish
- Email Cristina and Diane with your confirmed booking. Please note that HI will need your credit card but they will not charge it until your arrival. They also have a no charge (minimum 48 hour notice from arrival) cancellation policy
- The Canyon Hot Springs does not open for reservations until May. Check however their website. Accommodations include cabins and camping. You can get a camping site for about $40/night. They have coin operated hot showers.
Date: December 13th 5:30 p.m.
Venue: Once again, Lesley Bohm has kindly offered to host our Christmas
function. Her address is visible right here for members who have logged in to this site. Parking on street.
What to bring: Potluck fingerfood. Wine or Beer. Non alcohol punch will be available.
Lesley will run a slide show on their computer of her many trips - hiking, paddling, Morocco, Nepal, South Africa, etc.
North Shore Hikers will be hiking in Europe next September - Send Expressions of interest to Diane Whiteley by December 5, 2018
We (Cristina Jacob & Diane Whiteley) are looking for expressions of interest from members for the following adventure:
Trek the Hiker’s Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermatt (a hike in Alps through France, Italy and Switzerland)
Dates: start September 1st, 2nd or 3rd, 2019 (exact date TBD based on availability of accommodation in Chamonix) and finish in Zermatt 12 days later. The 12 stages are:
- Chamonix to Trient
- Trient to Champex
- Champex to Le Chable
- Le Chable to Cab.Mont Fort
- Mont Fort to Cab. Prafleuri
- Prafleuri to Arolla
- Arolla to la Sage
- La Sage to Cab. De Moiry
- Moiry to Zinal
- Zinal to Gruben
- Gruben to St. Niklaus
- St. Niklaus to Zermatt
We are going to use Alpine Exploratory for the bookings and take their advice on luggage handling as well. Here is some key information from Alpine Exploratory to help you decide whether you are interested.
- Price - For 12 stages and 13 nights, our price per person is GBP 1,640 (CAD 2,753) for our classic mix of accommodation, based on double or twin occupancy.
- Deposit - We ask for a deposit of GBP 200 per person (CAD 335) on confirmation of your schedule. What usually happens is, having received a booking form, we'll get back to you with a confirmation email. No payment details are required on booking. Some people choose to pay the deposit straight away, however it is absolutely fine to wait until we have booked the accommodation, and once you have confirmed that you're happy with it, pay at that stage. Payment is all taken separately, so that the group leader doesn't have to deal with the finance side of things. We then ask for your balance around 9 weeks before the trip.
If you are interested, please send your name via email to Diane Whiteley. My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
Diane and Cristina